LA Metro's Board of Directors takes up the issue of whether to support AB 1446 on Thursday. AB 1446 is Assemblyman Michael Feurer's bill to remove the sunset date in Measure R and authorize an extension of the sales tax to be placed on the ballot. Move LA convened its business-labor-environmental coalition Monday to discuss Metro's rationale for extending Measure R. From our perspective, here are the Top 10 Reasons:
• It will allow Metro to bond against a longer revenue stream and raise the money upfront to build all 12 new rail and bus rapid transit lines in the next 10 years
• It will create 400,000 jobs over 10 years at a time when jobs are needed badly;
• The entire system can be built more cheaply now than if construction occurs over a longer time frame because of inflation;
• LA will benefit from immediate congestion reduction benefits;
• Reduced congestion = improved economic competitiveness;
• LA will benefit from improved air quality;
• GHG emission reductions will be accelerated;
• Voters will get 20 more years of service out of the system;
• The increased connectivity of the system will greatly enhance ridership on all line;
• This ensures there will continue to be adequate funding for operations (20% of Measure R is dedicated to operations);
But why extend Measure R now? Because we can win now!
• Polling on the extension is excellent – voters are ready!
• The coalition is in place now!
• The increased turnout for a presidential election will help!
• We’ve got the momentum – LA has new mojo!