This is another critical stretch on the path to building out a robust and well-connected transit system in LA County: On Thursday, May 24, LA Metro's Board of Directors takes up the issue of whether to support AB 1446 – Assemblyman Michael Feuer’s bill to remove the sunset date in Measure R and authorize an extension of the sales tax on the November ballot. We hope that you can attend the board meeting and provide public comment – you are allowed one minute and we suggest that you speak on one of the "Top 10 Reasons to Extend Measure R Now!" -- which are included below! The meeting starts at 9 a.m. at Metro Headquarters.
TOP 10 REASONS TO EXTEND MEASURE R NOW:
• It will create 400,000 jobs over 10 years at a time when jobs are needed badly;
• The entire system can be built more cheaply now than if construction occurs over a longer time frame because of inflation;
• LA will benefit from immediate congestion reduction benefits;
• Reduced congestion = improved economic competitiveness;
• LA will benefit from improved air quality;
• GHG emission reductions will be accelerated;
• Voters will get 20 more years of service out of the system;
• The increased connectivity of the system will greatly enhance ridership on all line;
• This ensures there will continue to be adequate funding for operations (20% of Measure R is dedicated to operations);
But why extend Measure R now? Because we can win now!
• Polling on the extension is excellent – voters are ready!
• The coalition is in place now!
• The increased turnout for a presidential election will help!
• We’ve got the momentum – LA has new mojo!